Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Two at a Time Half Square Triangle Method

It has been raining so much lately and it is seriously draining all motivation out of me. I finished the Orchid Quilt top on Sunday and haven't been able to bring myself to baste and quilt it yet. Instead I decided to demonstrate my second technique for HST units the two at a time half square triangle method (this one is my method of choice). If you missed the eight at a time method make sure to go back and check it out, try both methods, and decide which one you like the most.

This time you will start with a square of each color 7/8 inch bigger than your finished square size. If, once it is all sewn into the top, you want your square to be 3 inches you will start with 3 7/8 inch squares. I start with 4 inch squares just in case.

Mark the lighter fabric with an air or water soluble marker diagonally.


Pin right sides together with the darker fabric and sew 1/4 inch from the line on both sides. I like to chain piece my sets together.



Cut on the diagonal line that you marked it should be 1/4 inch from the sew line.


Bring all of your triangles to the pressing surface and lay them darker fabric up. Set the seam and roll the darker fabric back pressing the seam to the dark side. Let your half square triangle units cool before moving them.


Trim the units to your finished square size + 1/2 inch so in this case 3 1/2 inch.


That's it! Here's some fun layouts you can make with your HST's.








There's a ton of different layouts you can make with HST's that is why it is one of my favorite blocks to use.  Do you have a favorite layout? If so I would love to see it!

Did you see my Quilt Along announcement?

Linking up with Handmade Tuesdays.








1 comment:

  1. I think you might have seen the fun I had with HST layouts on Sunday: https://instagram.com/p/4fgBUZoeRi/?taken-by=quiltingjetgirl This is by far my favorite method for HST creation. Speaking of which, I have a few I need to go make... :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...